While working on TRC I made a collection of popular IRC clients per platform, only to realise BlackBerry 10 had no real IRC clients. The best one available seemed to be an Android client running in an emulator.
So I asked a friend, collector of phones and owner of Heris IT to help me build a native IRC client for BlackBerry 10 using their Qt based Cascades framework.
A few months later, the first usable version is available for sale on the BlackBerry World.
This is a beta release that costs half of the final product, but also has half the features. We are doing this early release to collect some feedback, so please let us know what is important to you.
There are a few known issues:
- Sending messages is broken on 10.2
- The “Settings” button is a dummy.
- The “Change nick” button is a dummy.
- When the phone is standby the server kicks you of after a few minutes.
Some planned features:
- Richer message display
- Smarter notifications
- Tighter ZNC integration
- Nick autocomplete
- Remember channels
- SASL support
And finally a recommendation:
- Get a bouncer, it makes everything better